2022 onward into the futures 👀
- 2022 onward into the futures 👀
- Lead UXDesigner → Expedia Group
- contract Lead (Strategic) Designer → Expedia Group
- Design at the Design Institute for Health
- Stigma of Addiction in Healthcare
- Beyond Legacy Models Roundtable
- Graduate Student Advising: Anatomy of a Bill
- System Leverage Mapping
- Transitions of Care
- Design in Health Map
- Discipline Development
- Longitudinal Workshop Support
- Systems Thinking for Service Designers
- Jumping back into getting the know/edge public beta live
- Design Futures Initiative, Board Member
- Speculative Futures Austin
- Making time to work on personal creative projects
Lead UXDesigner → Expedia Group
Converted to a full-time XD role.
contract Lead (Strategic) Designer → Expedia Group
W2 contract w/ Expedia Group working with the Platform Design (Platform Tools & E2E Experience Vision) team w/in the XD* Experience Platform group.
*XD = Experience Design
An emerging mix of Design Strategy, Service Design, Facilitation, and Experience Design, supporting efforts to bridge near-term (day to day) Product Strategy implementation and longer-term Platform Strategy vision, by design.
Design at the Design Institute for Health
Stigma of Addiction in Healthcare
🗓November ‘21 → January '22 🗓
Role: Content + Project Lead
Anchored the design and facilitation of a workshop intended to foster continued engagement post Stigma of Addiction Summit, which is part of an ongoing collaborative effort between Shatterproof and the Dell Medical School Dept. of Internal Medicine.
Beyond Legacy Models Roundtable
🗓November → December '21 🗓
Role: Systems Designer
Supported the design and facilitation of a day long convening in collaboration w/ the MIT Legatum Center for Development and Entrepreneurship which will inform a forthcoming White Paper.
Design Institute for Health on Twitter: "A day-long roundtable, hosted by @mitlegatum and @DesignInHealth, convenes innovators & systems thinkers from across the global #healthcare ecosystem to explore more scalable, sustainable, and equitable models. Stay tuned for a framework of future innovation. pic.twitter.com/0KWcnANl3F / Twitter"
A day-long roundtable, hosted by @mitlegatum and @DesignInHealth, convenes innovators & systems thinkers from across the global #healthcare ecosystem to explore more scalable, sustainable, and equitable models. Stay tuned for a framework of future innovation. pic.twitter.com/0KWcnANl3F
Dr. Shannon Shibata-Germanos on Twitter: "Extraordinary day with #GlobalHealth stakeholders. Beautifully timed & highly relevant leading up to #UHCDay & the theme - #LeaveNoOneBehind ! A big thanks to @DesignInHealth & @mitlegatum for organizing/hosting such a powerful, action-oriented session to reimagine #healthcare! https://t.co/qAguxJXdjr / Twitter"
Extraordinary day with #GlobalHealth stakeholders. Beautifully timed & highly relevant leading up to #UHCDay & the theme - #LeaveNoOneBehind ! A big thanks to @DesignInHealth & @mitlegatum for organizing/hosting such a powerful, action-oriented session to reimagine #healthcare! https://t.co/qAguxJXdjr
Graduate Student Advising: Anatomy of a Bill
I had the absolute pleasure of offering Rebekah Scott + Christina Shields web design + development advice and guidance as they brought the initial version of their Anatomy of a Bill concept to fruition over the course of 2021. Major props to them.
Anatomy of a Bill
Value-based care is defined as the outcomes that matter to patients divided by the total costs of care. In association with the " A Bill You Can Understand" national challenge, a recent research report by strategic design consultancy Mad*Pow surveyed 355 patients and revealed that 61% found their medical bills confusing or very confusing.
System Leverage Mapping
🗓July → November '21 🗓
Studio Project, Content Lead
[Systemic Design] [Mapping]
- Updated our adapted System Leverage Map to serve as a generic Miro template for future projects
- Our Systems Leverage Map template is listed on Miroverse:
- Wrote an article on Systems Leverage Mapping for our Medium:
Design Institute for Health's Systems Leverage Map template | Miroverse
System Leverage Mapping gives us a framework for differentiating our concepts for design intervention by their potential to provoke change in systems. The framework is informed by theory and principles foundational to systemic design.
Austin Design Week 2021, Content Lead
- Anchored the planning and facilitation of a workshop on System Leverage Mapping for Austin Design Week '21:
ADW21: Systems Leverage Mapping: A Systemic Design Approach to Envisioning Better Futures of Health
This event was originally presented at Austin Design Week 2021, November 8th - 12th. Join a workshop with the Design Institute for Health to explore applying...
Design Institute for Health on Twitter: "We're wrapping up an excellent and engaging #ADW21 workshop to share a mapping tool we adapted for working on a health system challenge in our local community. Facilitated by @DesignInHealth team: @_dezein, @ADoAboutThings, Jessica, Nirali + Arotin pic.twitter.com/v4vqBj5xxr / Twitter"
We're wrapping up an excellent and engaging #ADW21 workshop to share a mapping tool we adapted for working on a health system challenge in our local community. Facilitated by @DesignInHealth team: @_dezein, @ADoAboutThings, Jessica, Nirali + Arotin pic.twitter.com/v4vqBj5xxr
Transitions of Care
Role: Systems Designer + Design (Prototyping) Lead
[Design Research] [Design Strategy] [Service Design] [Mapping; Experience, System]
🗓January '21 → July '21 🗓
Bridging critical gaps in transitions of health care - Design In Health
STATUS: COMPLETED PHASE 2 The Design Institute for Health worked with local hospitalist teams and community clinicians to explore the hand-off between hospital discharge to follow-up care. Successful transitions of care between hospitals and outpatient providers impact a person's likelihood of r
Working with the Dell Med School Department of Internal Medicine to help us assess and improve transitions of care from Dell Seton Medical Center to outpatient facilities.
Phase 2: Understanding
🗓April → June 2021 🗓
Designer leading our mapping efforts to make sense of primary research learnings
- doing a lot of iterative, remote co-created mapping in Miro
- utilizing co-created maps as strategic boundary artifacts
Phase 1: prolonged initial Design Sprint
🗓January → March 2021 🗓
What we did:
This phase of work culminated in the design and testing of two prototypes to improve how the discharge summary is written during a two-week testing period:
- A workshop with internal medicine residents and outpatient providers to improve resident understanding of how outpatient providers use the discharge summary and what information is most important to them
- A checklist, shared with internal medicine residents, to provide practical guidance as they write discharge summaries on what information outpatient providers need
We evaluated our prototypes, through surveys and interviews, to see how they affected short-term outcomes and found that residents were more knowledgeable (competencies) and motivated (attitudes) to write good discharge summaries and that the workshop built trust and empathy between inpatient and outpatient providers.
My role and contribution to this collaborative effort:
- Design Lead for the Prototyping phase of our initial Design Sprint
- introduced the Systems Leverage Map framework and guided the team through adapting it to represent our potential future pathways of work
- supporting the Research phase of our initial Design Sprint
- lightly supporting the Evaluation phase of our initial Design Sprint by way of co-leading the Prototyping phase and responding to feedback garnered through testing and collaborating with our broader project team
Design in Health Map
Role: Co-Initiator + Co-Content Lead
🗓November 2020 → ongoing internal effort 🗓
[Information Architecture] [System Mapping]
- getting more familiar with Kumu's CSS-like markdown by way of heavily adapting Kumu's Radar template to our exploratory use cases
- Natalie presented at the HXD Conference about our internal project!
[Design-Futures] [Systemic Design] [Design Education]
Supporting the development of our institute capabilities in Design-Futures and Systemic Design
- Leading efforts to apply Futures to design as a core studio capability
- working with our Systems Designers Natalie Privett and Arotin Hartounian to
- further develop this discipline internally
- refine how we speak about the nascent discipline when engaging with MA students and external organizations
- contribute to course structure and lesson content for DES294 Health Systems Design as project work and competing project schedules allow
Role: Designer + interim Content Lead
[Design Strategy] [Service Design] [Facilitation]
Staying engaged in the Corage project through Q1 acting as an interim Content Lead
- facilitating interdisciplinary working group sessions to iteratively adjust our maps for inclusion as figures in academic journal submissions
- updating our initial Experience Maps in support of journal publication with Arotin
- working with members of the Value Institute for Health to assess opportunities to cohere our respective streams of Phase 1 work
Longitudinal Workshop Support
Workshop creation, planning, and facilitation
- MSKI + Design Institute Workshop _ Facilitation _ 02.24.2021
- I stepped in to support the brainstorming portion of a workshop for the UT Health Austin Musculoskeletal Institute
- Solutions Design Workshop _ Planning + Facilitation _ 01.11.2021
- This introductory design workshop was designed and facilitated by José, Natalie P, and myself for the Value Institute for Health & Care MA in Healthcare Transformation program
Systems Thinking for Service Designers
[Systems Thinking] [System Mapping] [Service Design]
🗓January '21 → February '21 🗓
I was accepted into the first cohort of Systems Thinking for Service Designers from Design Dissolve. I'm one of two cohort members living in the Americas, and am the only American in the cohort, which I've quite enjoyed. I completed this training in late February of 2021 and have received a Certificate of Completion.
Jumping back into getting the know/edge public beta live
on the WWW with Ian, Shelby, Steven, and Peter
You can check out an overview of our public beta via Projector:
- excited that Lauren Schroeder is jumping into the front end efforts of the project to get our beta back live on the WWW!!!!!!
Design Futures Initiative, Board Member
[Design Futures] [Community of Practice] [Nonprofit]
- supporting Speculative Futures chapters by standing up a Chapter Knowledge Base in Notion
- complimenting this Knowledge Base effort by standing up and administrating a chapter location map with Vera
- acting as the Facilitator for the first year of DFI's Futures by Design training in partnership with Kedge
Speculative Futures Austin
Role: Lead Organizer with support from my Co-Organizers iliana Martinez and Mirandy Kim
- I’ve transitioned out of my role as Lead Organizer since moving out of Austin and am excited that Jiabao Li will be acting as Lead Organizer in 2022
- excited to announce that Mirandy Kim joined iliana and I as our 2nd interim Co-Organizer
Making time to work on personal creative projects
on my own outside of work at a nice leisurely pace as i've interest and head-space